Monday and Tuesday we got the chance to try out some powerful tools helping us to analyse and evaluate the results of our preceding user research. Among others we created an affinity diagram and a swim lane diagram. During the process we realised that most issues in the medical department are caused by financial problems, therefore we focused on the patient’s needs rather than the ones of the medical staff.
On Tuesday we worked out a business model, helping us to evaluate our idea from a different angle.
We developed a concept of features allowing patients to get a better insight into their diagnosis. These features will be accessible via tablet devices provided by the hospital.
For one, patients will be able to access their records. As the diagnosis is being translated into a more comprehensible version, this will help patients to better understand their current condition. For two, the patients can recheck the instructions for their medication and get further information about treatments, pharmaceuticals etc.